This post about the How to Cite a Website. Citing refers to the process wherein you quote the information of the body of your project and show the reader from where you found the information of the project. Citations are done in order to prevent plagiarism, give credit to the original work to individuals and show that you are a responsible researcher. While citing a project you include the name of the author, date, location of the publishing company, title of the journal, and Digital Object Identifier also called DOI.
There are many ways in which citation is done. Some of the popular ways are APA style used for Education, Psychology, and Sciences, MLA Style used for humanities, Chicago style used for Business, History, and the Fine Arts and Harvard Style. Citing is generally done for thesis, research paper, books, article and website. This article is all about how to cite a website.
How to Cite a Website
How to Cite an Entire Website in APA Format
The basic format of citing a website in APA format is Author surname(s), initial(s). (Year, Month, Day of publishing). Title.
- Author: It can be a person or number of persons who originally wrote the information. It can also be a name of the organization or a company. If there are number of authors then mention their names separated by a comma and an ampersand.
- Date: Mention the date on which the website was published.
- Title: Here title refers to the domain name of the website. The title has to be italicized. The first letter of every word should be in capital letters.
How to Cite an Entire Website in MLA Format
The basic format of citing a website in MLA format is Last name, First Name. Site Title. Sponsoring Institutions or publisher. Publication date day month abbreviation. Year, URL.
- Author: If there are 2-3 authors then mention their names in such a way that first author name inverted and the others in a sequence separated with a comma and “and”. If there are more than three authors mention the name of the first author followed by et al. IN case of the name of the organization use its complete name.
- Date: Mention the publishing date and write months in abbreviated form like Jan., Feb. etc.
- Sponsoring Institution or publisher: It is optional, stated only if it is needed.
How to Cite an Entire Website in Harvard Style
The basic format of citing a website in Harvard format is Author surname(s), initial(s). (Year of publishing). Title of the site (online). Available at: URL (Accessed: day, month, year)
- Author: Mention the name of the author. If there are more than one author mention their surnames and initials separated by a comma and “and”. In case of the name of the organization use its complete name.
- Title and Date: Mention the title and date at which URL was accessed.
How to Cite an Entire Website in Chicago Style
The basic format of citing a website in Chicago format is Last Name, First Name. “Page Title.” Website Title. Web Address (retrieved Date Accessed)
- Author: While writing the name of the authors the first name should be reversed and mention the names of the other authors as they appear in website separated by a comma.
- Title: Write the name of the title in quotes, followed y a period.
- Web Address: write the web address and the date on which website was accessed. The format of the date should be “month day, the year” written inside brackets.
Hope this article will help you to cite your website in the correct way possible.
Also cheek:- If you want to learn that How to Start a Blog? so click here and read this post.