Are you in charge of cooking a turkey this year and making it for the first time or have done a couple of times but you need some easy method. Cooking this bird can be a difficult task due to its subdued size. In this article, we will provide you with step by step instruction as to how to cook a turkey. Learn the basic recipe and try to cook a perfect turkey. Our goal is to provide you with the easiest way to get your turkey roasted. This method will work with any kind of turkey.
How to Cook a Turkey
- Choose your Turkey: while choosing a turkey you need to see how many people you are going to serve the dish. The basic rule is one person one pound. You may also choose it according to your preference, some of the turkeys which are available in the market are fresh, frozen, organic, free-range, seasoned, brined etc. in case you choose frozen turkey make sure you put it in your refrigerator for few days before using it to defrost it.
- Things needed to roast Turkey: The most important thing that you need while roasting a turkey is a roasting pan and of course the turkey itself. Make sure that the roasting pan is large enough to give enough space to the large-sized
- Ingredients to roast Turkey: For a 13-15 pound turkey you need the following ingredients:
- 13- to 15-pound fresh or defrosted turkey
- 2 small onions
- Celery leaves
- 3 medium carrots
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1/2 bunch fresh sage
- Chicken stock or water for pan
You can increase or decrease the vegetable and other ingredients according to the size of the turkey.
- Preparation of Ingredients: Melt the butter and mix herbs and spices into it and cut the onion, carrot and celery into small chunks.
- Clean Turkey: Rinse the turkey inside out nicely with cold water and dry it with dry tissues.
- Seasoning: hold the turkey and start seasoning its entire cavity with salt and pepper. Add the other ingredients to the cavity. Now, sprinkle some salt and pepper over the rest of the parts.
- Trussing: Tie the legs of the turkey using twine or dental floss; it will help to cook the turkey evenly.
- Loosen the Turkey skin over the breastbone: Using your hands push under the skin and separate it from the breast meat to get a flavorful turkey.
- Apply butter under the Turkey skin: Apply some butter under the skin of each breast to make it juicy and sumptuous.
- Season the outside part of the bird: Apply some butter to the outside part of the turkey nicely. Set the turkey on the roasting pan and add some vegetables around the turkey on the pan. Add some drops of the stock or water to the roasting pan.
- Cover the Turkey Breast: Use aluminium foil to cover the breast of the turkey. Remove the foil to brown the skin, about an hour before the cooking is done.
- Roasting time: Place the pan into a preheated 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) oven. The usual time for roasting is 15 to 20 minutes per pound. The turkey needs to be removed when it reads 165 F in the thickest part of the thigh meat.
- Let it rest for some time: After you take it out of the oven, wrap it up loosely with a foil and let it rest for 20-25 minutes.
Serve your freshly roasted turkey to your guests and make your mother proud.