Rice is the most commonly consumed food by people all over the world. It is the main ingredient of many soups and another type of meat. There are varieties of rice available like long, medium or short grained used to make various dishes like fried rice, risotto, sushi, rice pudding, lemon rice, biryani, garlic rice and many more. There are hundreds of dishes which can be made from rice. But for that first, we need to learn how to cook rice, here in this article we will tell you how to make rice.
Cooking rice is one of the first lessons you take when you enter the kitchen. It is not at all difficult but needs a bit of a technique.
How to cook rice on the stove
- Ingredients: All you need is 1 cup medium rice (white or brown), 2 cups water and 1.5 teaspoon salt and a little bit of oil or butter (optional)
- You also need a saucepan and a stirring spoon
- Rinse your rice in order to rinse any dust or starch.
- Next, measure the quantity of rice and water. The ideal ratio is 1:2 which means with one cup of rice you need 2 cups of water.
- Put the saucepan on a stove, pour the required amount of water and let it boil. Put some salt and oil and add rice to it. Cover the pot and let it cook for 18 minutes for white rice and 30 minutes for brown rice.
- After it is cooked check if the rice is firm and tender, it’s okay if it is little sticky.
- Check if there is some water left in the pan. If yes then drain the excess water.
- Let the rice set for few minutes and serve.
How to cook rice in a cooker
- Ingredients: 1 cup white or brown rice, 2-3 cups of water.
- Wash rice to wash away the starch and other impurities and strain the excess water.
- Add some water in the pressure cooker like 3 inches and put the container containing rice in it.
- Close the pressure cooker with its lid with the whistle on.
- Cook on high flame, and wait till you hear 3 whistles, but the number of whistles depends upon the type of rice you are using.
- Release extra steam by lifting the whistle and let the rice settle for 2 minutes.
- Open the lid and serve.
How to cook rice in Microwave
Cooking rice in the microwave is extremely easy and time-saving.
- Ingredients: For 8 servings you need 2 cups of rice, 2.5-3.5 cups of water, 1.5 teaspoons of oil.
- Wash rice and place it in a microwave-safe container, big enough to let the rice expand.
- Add required amount of water.
- Place the dish in the microwave for 10 minutes on high or 15 minutes on medium.
- Let it settle for 2 minutes take it out and serve.
Now, you can cook rice in stove, cooker or microwave and serve your guests hot steaming rice.