This century is all about chatting, interacting and mingling with friends, relatives and strangers. When we talk about chatting, the first app that comes to our mind is social media giant- Facebook. In last few years, Facebook has gained much popularity among people from all age groups. Be it a youngster, an adult or an aged, the craze of Facebook has gone “viral”. How to delete Facebook account?
The app is limited not only to chatting but also to share pictures, videos, status and many more personal information. Almost everybody that comes across you has an account on Facebook and that’s where it all starts. Since you share almost everything on the social media platform, there is a lot of chance that your privacy is breached by anyone.
There can be a lot of reasons of deleting your Facebook account like unnecessary likes, comments, updates, messages, pokes and advertisements or it can prove to be highly addictive to people or maybe you’re just too tired of endless memes and tagging. Whichever is your reason, we are here to assist you in deleting your Facebook account. Here’s how:
- Backing up your information on Facebook: To start backing up your information, you have to download a copy of your Facebook data which includes your posts, photos and more. The information will be downloaded in the form of a ZIP file.
- Select the padlock icon available at the upper right-hand corner of your Facebook account.
- Then go for- “See More Settings.”
- Click on “General”.
- “Download a copy of your Facebook data” is clicked then.
- Then click on “Start My Archive.”
- Click on “Options” at the bottom of the photo and select “Download” to save individual photos.
Once deleted, you cannot retrieve that information. When you read the Terms of Service of Facebook, you will find that the removed content may exist in backup copies for a “reasonable period of time,” but will not be available to others.
- Checking your linked apps: Sometimes we have to use Facebook to sign up or log in to third-party apps, games or websites; in the process, we give them permission to access and store our basic information that we share on Facebook. You can check these apps which are connected to your Facebook account by:
- Clicking on the downward arrow at the top right-hand corner of Facebook.
- Then select the option of “Settings.”
- Now, click on “Apps” and you will find a list of apps that are linked to your Facebook account.
You can access some apps only through login with Facebook like Tinder. In such a case, you will have to rethink about deleting your Facebook account and you will have to choose one. However, you can visit these apps and check whether you can change your form of login by using your email address.
- Turning off your apps on Facebook: You can either remove or disable the apps after changing your form of login to be safe.
- Click on the downward arrow at the top right-hand corner of Facebook.
- Click on the option of “Settings.”
- Select “Apps”.
- Click “x” next to each app until each app is removed from the list.
- A pop-up menu will appear to confirm the removal of the app. Click on “Delete all your [app name] activity on Facebook and then “Remove” button.
- Now click on “Edit” and then “Turn Off Platform”. This will forbid any app to use your user ID and information.
However, some information might still be available on outside businesses and developers who are not a part of Facebook that you have shared in the past. You can delete this data and information by contacting the app directly and requesting them to delete your data. You can also take a look at the privacy policies of any third party app before contacting to know how the app collects, shares and uses your information.
- Clearing your history on Facebook: Activity log is a list where you can find your posts and all Facebook activities, including your search history, likes and comments. All your check-ins, tags, comments and likes on other people’s pages vanish when you delete your Facebook account.
- Click the “View Activity Log” button in the lower right-hand corner of your cover photo on your Facebook account.
- Click on the pencil icon and select “Delete” or “Unlike.”
- Now, click on “More” under “Photos”, “Likes” and “Comments.”
- Deleting your Facebook account: And finally, the time has come to say goodbye to your Facebook account.
- Log in to your account and click on the “Quick Help” button which is denoted by a question mark. It is the second last option on the right hand side of the top panel.
- A drop down menu will appear, select “Account Security” from the options. Now click on “See more help about account security”.
- Now take your cursor to “Managing your account” which is one the options in the tabs.
- From the drop down list, select “Deleting or Deactivating your account”. Now go to “How do I permanently delete my account?” question. Click on “Let us know”.
- Click on “Delete My Account” button to permanently erase your Facebook account.
- After confirming the deletion, log into your email id to make sure the deletion process has started.
- To avoid restoring your Facebook account, do not log into it for 14 days.
- According to Facebook’s Data Use Policy, it takes about one month to delete your account, but some information may remain in backup copies for up to 90 days on Facebook’s end and the chat messages will remain with the person you had your conversation with on Facebook.
see also: – How to Download YouTube Videos
These are the steps to delete your Facebook account. However, you can restore your account in case you have changed your mind by logging into it within 14 days or 2 weeks of the deletion process and also, you always have an option to create a new account.