You want to enjoy the whole bowl of fruits by yourself but suddenly you see some uninvited guests hovering over it. Yes, they are none other than fruit flies. Fruit flies can be very annoying and at the same time they contaminate the food and make it unhygienic. The question is what can be done to prevent your fruits from these flies? The answer lies in your house itself. There are some effective home remedies to get rid of fruit flies discussed in this article below. How to get rid of fruit flies
- Apple Cider Vinegar
This is one of the most effective methods. Put some pure apple cider vinegar in an empty bottle. Don’t close the bottle with its cap, instead, cover it with a plastic wrap and put a rubber band so that it gets fixed. Make a hole in the bottle. The flies will get attracted to its scent and will get trapped inside the bottle.
- Milk, Pepper and Sugar
Make a mixture of a glass of milk, put some sugar and pepper in it, heat the mixture for ten minutes and pour it into a bowl. The flies will get enticed to the milk mixture and will drown in it.
- Red Wine
It’s a tried and tested method, just like vinegar, fruit flies easily get attracted to the smell of red wine. Leave some wine in a bottle and place it near the fruits. The flies will easily get trapped inside the bottle.
- A Piece of Fruit with a Paper Cone
Take a jar with a narrow opening, place a piece of fruit dipped in vinegar inside the jar. Make a paper cone and stick it inside the jar in an inverted manner. The fruit flies will enter the jar with the fruit and vinegar smell but won’t be able to exit.
- Fruit Flies Spray
You can easily make a fruit fly spray at home. Take a spray bottle and make a mixture of 91% of rubbing alcohol and rest water. Spray it all over the floor, it will act as a powerful disinfectant and will kill all the fruit flies. It is way more effective than any insecticide as it is less poisonous and caustic.
There are some preventing measures as well, which should be taken to get rid of fruit flies listed below.
See also: – How to Get Rid of a Bed Bug
- You need to make sure that you clean your dishes after every meal and there aren’t any dirty dishes lying in your sink as the leftover food on the dishes is an easy source to attract the fruit flies.
- Trash bins should be kept covered. If the dustbin doesn’t have a lid then you should cover it with a newspaper.
- Keep your house, especially kitchen as dry as possible. Damp areas easily attract fruit flies.
- Sometimes plants are also a source of fruit flies. If you have some indoor plants, then make sure that you change the pot soil time to time.
Try these methods and get rid of the annoying and disturbing fruit flies.