In today’s hectic and overstressed life our mind generally gets worked up and the stress takes a toll on our body. In these conditions, we tend to get frustrated and angry which eventually affects our health. In such kind of situations, meditation works like a boon for us. Meditation has been followed by yogis and monks since an ancient time. Just like you train your body with fitness training, in the same way, you train your mind with meditation. Meditation helps in calming your mind; it releases stress, helps in enhancing concentration and also lets you connect with your surroundings. How to Meditate
For a beginner, it is a little difficult to understand the proper technique of meditation, but with time and practice you will automatically learn the basics of meditation and will see a positive change in you. In this article, we will provide you with the correct way of how to meditate.
How to Meditate
- Choose a Pleasant and Quiet Environment: To start with you need to prepare yourself to meditate and choose a tranquil environment so that outside noises like the sound of the television, loud music, vehicles etc can be avoided and you can concentrate on your meditation process. You can choose some soothing music like the OM chanting or you can also sit beside a river or a fountain where you can listen to the natural sounds like the sound of water, chirping of birds, etc.
- Physical comfort: To do meditation it is very important to wear something in which you feel comfortable. Uncomfortable clothing will act as a hindrance in the meditation process and you might feel uneasy. Avoid wearing shoes during the process
- Set a time for yourself: Decide for how long you want to meditate and make sure you stick to the time you have set for yourself. For the beginners a 5-15 min meditation is fine. In the beginning, you might feel tedium and monotonous but with time you will definitely experience a noticeable change in yourself.
- Stretching: Start with a little warm-up and stretching as it will prepare your body as well as a mind for meditation. If you don’t have enough time you can skip this part.
- Sit in a comfortable position: Before you start the meditation technique sit in a comfortable position. You can sit with your crossed legs with back straight and hands resting on your knees or you can also use a meditation bench.
See also: – How to make buttermilk?
- Close your eyes: Though it is up to you whether you want to open or close your eyes. But for a beginner, it is essential to close your eyes as it will help you to not to get distracted. Close your eyes and relax.
- Meditation Techniques: There are many meditation techniques but given below are some easy techniques for the beginners.
- Concentration Meditation: In this kind of meditation technique, you focus on a single point, it can be anything, a candle flame, counting beads of a mala and repeating the mantra or listening to a particular song repeatedly. This helps in improving your concentration as you try to block other thoughts and concentrate on one single point. In the beginning, you will see that you will easily lose your concentration but meditation is all about practice so you need not worry.
- Mindfulness Meditation: Once you start with meditation, you will notice that it is full of collective thoughts. In this technique to need to filter your thoughts and try to concentrate on the pattern of your thought process. With time you will see that you are creating a self-awareness and developing an inner balance.
- Visualization: It is a very effecting technique of meditation. In this technique, you make a detailed image of anything you want to achieve using all your senses. Example, if you want to clear some examination, then you visualize that you have passed that exam with flying colors. When you repeatedly do this, you will notice that you actually attaining the desired outcome of the particular situation.
- Walking meditation: In this form of meditation, you get a break from the usual kind of techniques. Choose a quiet location, start walking and observe the movement of your feet and nothing else. Try to clear your mind with all the other thoughts and feel the connection of the feet with the earth.
Benefits of Meditation
If you will meditate daily then you will start experiencing its benefits. Some of them are given below.
- Lower blood pressure
- Improved blood circulation
- Less anxiety
- Less stress
- Deeper relaxation
- Happy and more at peace
Meditation is a journey and you need to stay focused and calm while walking through it. Eventually, you will attain inner peace and spiritual awareness.