In a country like India where the government is of the people, for the people and by the people casting a vote is really important. It is our constitutional right as well as the responsibility that we vote to choose our candidate and our leader. Every vote counts and a single vote can make a difference, therefore, it is our moral duty that each of us should vote on the day of elections. Many of us don’t know the exact process of how to vote. In this article, we will tell you the complete process of voting so that each of us is present at the polling booth on Election Day. How to Vote in India
How to Vote
- You Need to meet some requirements which are given below:
- To vote you need to be 18 years old and above.
- You have to be the citizen of India. People who are living overseas can also vote if they are citizens of India.
- If you have been disqualified by a competent court from the voting process then you cannot participate in voting.
- Register Yourself: If you want to vote you should file Form-6. The process of filling the form is given below.
- Visit eci.eci.nic.in. From there you can download the Form-6 which is available in both languages (Hindi and English).
- After that complete online voter registration. You will obtain a username and a password; upload a passport size photo and proof of age and residence and submit your application.
- If you don’t want to submit the documents online then you can also send them via post to the voter’s centre of your city. If you are facing any problem you can contact the Booth level officer who is always there to help with the process.
- If you are living overseas you can still cast your vote. Start the registration process, visit eci.nic.in and obtain the form 6A. then Enroll as NRI voter, attach the photocopy of your passport and passport size photograph and Submit this form to the Electoral Registration Officer (ERO) of the constituency of the state where you used to live in India.
- Find your polling station: You can only vote on your polling station. To find your polling station visit eci.nic.in and click on the map of polling stations.
- Casting your vote: On the day of elections, go to your voting centre and look for your name on the voter’s list. If your name is there, wait for your turn. When your turn comes, go inside and look for the machine. On the machine press the button beside the candidate/party you want to vote. After that, the person who is in charge will mark you with an ink on your nail. This is done in order to ensure that you have given your vote.
See also: –How to Vote in the US
All the states in India follow the same voting process. Hope this article has solved all your queries related to voting and from next time each one of you will be present at your polling booth to cast your vote.